Full Time Billing Clerk
FULL TIME UTILITY BILLING CLERK:
The City of Monticello is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy within the Water/Sewer and Administrative Department. Applicant should be proficient in the use of Windows based computer programs including data entry, word processing and spreadsheets. Applicant must have good communication skills and be able to effectively interact with the public. The ideal candidate would have a high school diploma or equivalent with at least two years of billing experience including knowledge of accounts receivable and accounts payable. Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered. Work hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The employment application can be completed by following the link below. Application deadline is 4:00 p.m. Friday, August 6, 2021.
Official Job Description
Title: Utility Billing Clerk
Department: Water, Waste Water and Administration
Status: Full Time; Non-Exempt
Works cooperatively with Public Works personnel in order to complete all water billing functions in an efficient and economical manner. Also, to work cooperatively with the Administrative Staff to complete any receptionist, telephone, secretarial or filing duties as required.
This position works under the direct supervision of the Finance Director and ultimately reports to the City Administrator.
The list of tasks is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by this position.
1. Prepares and mails all cycles of water billing in a timely fashion. To include, but not limited to, preparing the hand held readers, printing billing registers and statements, finalizing accounts and adding new accounts.
2. Collects, deposits and posts daily payment receipts.
3. Collects and refunds water deposits from renters.
4. Runs penalties for past due accounts, mails letters from shut off list and shuts off customers remaining unpaid on shut off date.
5. Prepares work orders for the Public Works personnel for final readings, leak checks and readings for leak adjustments. Upon return of these by the Public Works personnel processes work orders accordingly.
6. Responsible for the monthly Water/Sewer Usage report.
7. Responsible for sewer average adjustments.
8. Responsible for “no” consumption list.
9. Responsible for bulk water billing.
10. Responsible for utility billing calendars.
11. Responsible for updating rates and rate sheets.
12. Answers phone and routes calls.
13. Assists with other duties, as assigned.
1. Must have a valid Illinois driver’s license.
2. Must be willing to live within a twelve (12) mile radius of City Hall.
1. Knowledge of general computer skills.
2. Knowledge of a variety of data entry.
3. Knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
4. Knowledge of spreadsheets including Microsoft Excel.
5. Knowledge of the English language, including proper structure, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
1. Reading Comprehension- Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
2. Active Listening- Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
3. Time Management- Managing one’s own time and the time of others.
4. Writing- Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
5. Speaking- Talking to others to convey information effectively.
6. Instructing- Teaching others how to do something; helping others to understand something.
7. Negotiation- Bring others together in an attempt to reconcile differences.
8. Critical thinking- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
9. Judgement and Decision Making- Considering the advantages and disadvantages of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
10. Social Perceptiveness- Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
1. Oral Comprehension- The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken word.
2. Oral Expression- The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
3. Written Expression- The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
4. Deductive Reasoning- The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
5. Problem Sensitivity- The ability to recognize when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong.
6. Number Facility- The ability to add, subtract, multiply or divide quickly and correctly.
7. Visualization- The ability to imagine how something will look after it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged.
8. Depth Perception- The ability to judge which of several objects is closer or farther away from you, or to judge the distance between you and an object.
9. Near Vision- The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
10. Far Vision- The ability to see details at a distance.
1. Reports any accidents to the Human Resources director within 24 hours of accident and assists in filling out any necessary paperwork.
2. Working hours shall be from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday or as needed. Offices located at 210 N. Hamilton Street, Monticello, Illinois
3. Moderate physical activity; may require stooping, bending, and infrequent lifting of light weights over 25 pounds.
4. Moderate exposure to stress as a result of human behavior.