Right-of-Way Permits

Are you doing construction work or erecting signs/tables/awnings/etc. in publicly-owned areas?
Permits are required for all work performed in the public right-of-way. Each dedicated street in the City of Monticello has a public right-if-way. The right-of-way includes: 

  • The pavement
  • Curbing and sidewalks
  • The Area between the sidewalk and curb

Work that requires a permit includes street openings, driveway construction, encroachments, street and sidewalk obstructions, new water services and renewals, water abandonments, and use of hydrants and barricades.

Street and side right-of-way permits ensure that:

  • Individuals working in the right-of-way know the appropriate rules and regulations. This reduces the possibility of damage to utility lines.
  • Individuals doing work in the right-of-way are property insured against personal injury and property damage.
  • Work is done according to the City of Monticello specifications, codes, and requirements, thereby providing for proper restoration of public property.
  • Schedules between agencies and individuals are coordinated so they do not attempt to perform work at the same location simultaneously.
  • A record of who performed specific work is maintained, in case problems are discovered after work has been completed.
  • Vehicular and pedestrian traffic is adequately maintained.

Permits are required for the following activities - (This is a partial listing):

  • Any type of excavation in the public right-of-way such as installing, repairing, or replacing of water services or sewer laterals, and installing or repairing of any type of underground utility.
  • Repairing or replacing of any sidewalk in the public right-of-way.
  • Resurfacing, widening, or closing of an existing driveway.
  • Installing a new driveway.
  • Installing, replacing, or removing street curbing.
  • Storing materials, dumpsters, or equipment in the public right-of-way.
  • Parking any heavy equipment such as cranes in a public street.
  • Erecting a new utility pole, or removing or relocating an existing utility pole.

How to Obtain a Permit: 

Permits may be downloaded (PDF) and returned to the Monticello Municipal Building during open hours.