Start Service / Stop Service

In order to start water and/or sewer services at a new address, you must submit a Utility Service Application, even if you currently have or have had utility services in Monticello before.


Renters (both residential and commercial) and mobile home dwellers are required to pay a $100 deposit. This deposit will be held in escrow and applied to the final MCUS bill. If the amount of the deposit is greater than the amount of the final bill, the remaining balance will be returned to the customer. If the amount of the deposit is less than the amount of the final bill, the customer will be responsible for paying the balance due.

Cash or check deposit payments can be placed in the drop box located at the Municipal Building office, 210 N. Hamilton Street, Monticello. You can also pay your deposit online.


If you are the owner of a property that will be rented or leased, you must complete and submit a Landlord Application. Property owners who wish to have service put into the name of the current tenant are strongly encouraged to notify MCUS each time tenants move in or out. Each tenant will be responsible for submitting their own Utility Service Application and paying the $100 deposit. In accordance with City of Monticello Municipal Code, any balance left unpaid by a tenant will become the responsibility of the property owner.

Discontinue Service

To stop water/sewer service in your name, contact MCUS at (217) 762-2583 or email directly.