- Police Department
- Low-Speed Vehicles
The City of Monticello Municipal Code allows for operation of non-highway vehicles as described in 625 ILCS /11-1426.1(e), commonly identified as golf carts or ATVs. Golf cart owners must apply for and receive a permit from the City of Monticello Police Department in order to operate on City streets. Permits are non-transferrable and must be renewed by March 31st annually. The City issued permit must be displayed in a visible location of the vehicle at all times.
Permitted non-highway vehicles must be operated by licensed individuals, carry proof of liability insurance, and be inspected annually to determine the vehicle meets, or continues to meet the requirements of the Illinois Vehicle Code.
As outlined in Chapter 78, Monticello Municipal Code: Non-Highway Vehicles, a vehicle may be registered as a low speed vehicle if all of the following conditions are met:
- The vehicle's top speed is greater than 20 mph but no more than 25mph.
- The vehicle contains the following required items, as outlined in Chapter 78 of the Monticello City Ordinance.
- A steering apparatus
- A rearview mirror
- Red reflectorized warning device in the front and rear
- A headlight that emits a white light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the front
- A tail lamp that emits a red light visible from at least 100 feet from the rear
- Brake lights
- Turn signals
- A slow moving emblem (as required of other vehicles in Section 12-709 of the Illinois Vehicles Code) on the rear of the non-highway vehicles.
To make an appointment for a Non-highway Vehicle inspection, or to fill out the application for a Non-highway Vehicle permit, contact or visit the Monticello police Department:
301 N. Hamilton Street
Monticello, IL 61856