114 S. Charter St.

This building known as the John N. Dighton Building was built between 1856 and 1870.  It is a Commercial type and Italianate influence.  This one story painted brick building is dominated by a tall Italianate influenced single storefront.  Cast iron column frame the door and support a cast iron beam decorated with four small brackets above the storefront.  The beams and brackets match the adjacent property to the north.  Above are extended brick courses and three panel parapet.  The long south facade has a denticulated cornice, and tile coping.  Ths building originally had a second story which was destroyed in 1875, likely in a fire that destroyed the old courthouse which had been located at 112 S. Charter Street.  There were grocery stores here after 1875.  Other occupants were a millinary store, A.C. Miller dairy and meat store, realtors and attorneys.