412 N. State St.
"Moore-Hott House", c. 1890
Queen Anne/ Colonial Revival
Allen Francis Moore and his wife Madora Bradford Moore were the first occupants of this house. Moore was born in 1869 in St. Charles, Illinois, but moved with his family to Monticello a year later where his father, Henry Van Rensselaer Moore, was a pioneer in local banking. In 1899 Moore bought controlling interest in the Pepsin Syrup Company which was later sold to Sterling Products in 1925. Moore was one of the City's most prominent residents . The Moore's civic philanthropy included a donation of $150,000 in 1924 for the Moore Memorial Gymnasium at the high school in remembrance of the young men of Monticello who lost their lives in World War 1. Moore eventually built a mansion at 1005 North State Street that later served as the first home of the John and Mary E. Kirby Hospital. That mansion was then demolished when the hospital was built in 1974. The second occupants of the house at 412 North State Street were John and Nellie Hott who lived there before constructing a new mansion at 810 North State Street. Hott was a partner in the Pepsin Syrup Company. The records of 1937 indicate that this house served as the home of J. C. Tippet and the Priestly Candy Shop.
This house has features of both the Queen Anne and Colonial Revival styles; irregular shape, two and a half story, with clapboard and wood shingle siding, hib and gable roofs, and a round turret with conical roof. The full width porch has Doric columns, a wide frieze with dentils, and turned balustrade. The porch stairs are set below a large gable which is supported by rounded brackets placed between dentils; the gable decorated with an application of swags and wreath with flame. A large belcast wood shingled gable balances the turret on the north and has a curve sided recessed 12-light window. The house has a variety of window sizes and groupings and the detailing is neo-classic.
The large one and a half story carriage barn outbuilding (c. 1890) has brick walls, wall dormers, and side gable slate roof with stepped end gables.