This house was designed for Dr. Knott with many of the interior features crafted in Europe. In 1916, the current owner, William Dighton, a Monticello banker and farmer, had the house enlarged and redesigned by Chicago architect Frederick Perkins. Dighton was president of the First National Bank, the Dighton-Dilatush Loan Company, and the Illinois Joint Stock and Land Bank, all in Monticello. All three companies dealt primarily with farm loans. Dighton was a graduate of the University of Illinois and was a charter member of the Delta Tau Delta Fraternity. The Dightons later moved to the Houston house at 915 North State Street in the 1940's.
This house features the Tudor Revival style; irregular shape, two and a half story, with a mixture of brick, stucco, and half-timbered walls, and multiple slate covered gable roofs. Massive timber is used at the porches, sun rooms, and at the port cochere. There are grouped, small divided light windows throughout. The large entry hall was oak walls. There are seven bedrooms with two being master bedrooms with attached sleeping porches. The house was three chimneys and five fireplaces. The basement has oak paneling and hard wood floors. The large angled shape one and a half story carriage house outbuilding (c. 1916) was built in the same style as the redesigned house and served as the residence of the coachman.