This house was built in 1906 for Louis and Mary Dighton Burgess. Louis Burgess worke with his father, Gilbert Burgess, founder of the Piatt County Republican newspaper. Gilbert and Louis sold their interests in the newspaper in 1910, after which Louis and O.L. Cline organized the Burgess & Cline Insurance Agency. Cline also resided in the district at 402 North State. Mary Dighton Burgess was the twin sister of William Dighton, who built his home at 712 North State, and the daughter of Sarah Dighton, who lived next door at 707 North State. A sidewalk connected the two back doors so mother and daughter could enjoy easy visiting privileges. This house features the Colonial Revival style; two and a half story, with clapboard siding, and truncated hip roof. There are a variety of window styles and groupings, with many being the Palladian style. The large wrap-around porch has large rusticated brick corner piers, a wide frieze with dentils, and turned wood balustrade with Ionic columns and an exaggerated keystone. A large gable roof dormer has a round arch transom with keystone above the window. Interior woodwork and crown moldings are birch, butternut, oak, and cherry all stained to match. Original bath fixtures remain, with some heart-shaped lavatories and large tubs. Original central vacuum system and an ice door on Wilson Street are still operable. There is a ballroom in the basement level.
A large modern garage outbuilding is non-contributing to the historic district.